Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Scarecrows & Witches

One evening we were on our way home Chad's sisters house and Court was crying and crying because she was scared of witches and since it was dark she was afraid or was it tired?? Anyway she would NOT stop crying no matter how many times we told her there were no such things as witches and she was safe. So finally (I know this is horrible, but it worked) I told her she'd better stop crying because a witch would hear her and follow her crying and would be able to find her. Well she immediately stopped crying. I tried being rational first, I really did! Well then one day I took her to Hobby Lobby with me and they had the Halloween decorations out and she found this little scarecrow for a dollar. I told her that scarecrows were for scaring away things and she decided that a scarecrow could scare away witches and so for $1.00 I bought my daughter security and a guardian from witches.

Now she keeps it on her dresser to watch over at night. Last night it was so beautiful outside that we wanted to leave the windows open. Predictably she was scared so I had to put the scarecrow in her window to look out into the night and keep a look out for witches. With him in thew window and a promise from me to close the window before I went to bed she very obediently went to bed without a fuss. Thank heavens for scarecrows. I guess it would be a bad idea to let her watch the wizard of OZ. It may kill all her confidence in her little guardian.

2 comments:

The Maughans said...

I love this story. This is the main reason I blog, to write down these precious memories, and share with family and friends. Welcome to Blog World!
PS You ready for the movie!??!

Farley Smiles said...

I love the story too, it is so cute and you are such a creative mom!